Welcome to my Blog

Welcome fellow classmates of ECI 517-Multimedia. Please feel free to leave a post, especially if you have any wonderful pieces of knowledge that you would like to share!





Happy Blogging!



Friday, April 23, 2010

Learning Object

First I will start off by saying, YEAH-Last Post!!!!  Can you tell that I am not much of a blogger?  However, I have loved the learning experience-I know how to do something my 12 yr old does not know how to do yet (dealing with computers).

Moving on to Learning Object.

I have read and reread some of the material as well as listened to the week's lecture concerning LO.  At first I understood but didnt, because I really didnt grasp the affect that LO has on learning, especially in the online environment.  From what I gather, It is using and reusing material, mostly online, that can be used in different learning areas.  I think that this is a great process, because there are times that you may teach something that could be taught in a different subject, case in point, History and English.  You may learn about the History of Rome and also study about different literature in English that falls under the same information.  Some of the information from the two classes that cross over can be set up within a learning object so they can be shared.  This would save time and energy for both subjects/teachers.

I noticed in the lecture that SCORM was discussed, which I was glad because that is all that I have heard about at work for about the past year.  Now, everything that we do has to be SCORM compliant.  We are also looking into a new LMS system.  I have found that LMS is a very important tool where I work because it stores all of our training information.  We had a contract with another LMS but ended up terminating because it did not fit our needs.  Right now we use a Lotus Notes database (stone ages) which will not do what we need for our online training.

Also, I have learned that the training environment that I work in would fall under the proprietary economy type.  We develop our own training for internal purposes.  Our company has recently started moving more toward online training.  Within the past year, we have developed learning objects that we can now use in several different trainings, which has really saved in time, with showing the E-Learning piece vs teaching in class, and money.  Another case in point:  We recently did an online module for systems training for existing users.  It saved the company money because we were able to have our staff who lived several hours away, take the training online, vs having to pay gas mileage for them to attend a live session.

Needless to say, I did learn alot from this week's lesson, although I feel that I still have alot to learn.

It has been great working with each of you.  Have a happy summer!

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a fine job blogging this semester - I know that I enjoyed reading your posts. :)

    How cool that our readings this week were directly applicable to your life right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I too am doing my end-of-semester jig!!

    I am still a bit stumped on Learning Objects because in my world, we refer to different types of training - instructor-led, online tutorials, materials, and tests as learning objects within our LMS. It's interesting that you say that your organization is looking for an LMS. Have you all narrowed down the options? I can give you some suggestions just based upon experiences at different companies.

    Again great job and happy end-of-semester!

    ReplyDelete