As I was studying and reading about CBR this week, I could really see it's use in some of the classes that I teach/train for new employees. One class that I teach is dealing with Serving Patients with Disabilities in which we use old cases of where patients with disabilities had problems in accessing the facilities. What students are supposed to do it to figure out ways that the problems can be corrected so that patients do not have to deal with these problems in the future. We also have the students to add their own personal experiences or stories that enhance what we have already discussed. I really can see where cased based learning would probably enhance this class and add more structure to what we are already teaching.
I can also see where CBR can be used in the Medical field where Interns and Residence Doctors can learn from past cases and apply them to new case situations. During the camtasia presentation on CBR adaptation was discussed. I was thinking that during adaptation, a doctor could also use old cases to help rule out what might not help the patient or rule out other diagnoses.
I like the fact that this module deals with realistic situations. I can see where this module would be used for more adult learning versus K-12 in the fact that in adult training, the adult learner can benefit more from real world situations since they can use them to apply to not only their work but other areas of their life as well.
I believe that using CBR to help students to discuss the cases/issues and also to debate different ideas will help not only their problem solving skills but their social skills as well. It will help people to be able to listen to others ideas without becoming defensive.
I can see myself incorporating this module into my current style of teaching.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good post! I agree that I can definitely see case based learning used in the medical field as a teaching method. Using prior cases (minus patient information) can allow them to present it to the students and see how the students would have solved the issue.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading your post. I know that if I was working in the medical field I would greatly appreciate learning from other people's experience. There are so many things we take for granted that everyone already knows when we're training a new employee and using CBR would be an easy way to share a few of those first year on the job faux pas that happen to everyone. It would eliminate a lot of problems before they had a chance to happen.
ReplyDelete