Welcome to my Blog

Welcome fellow classmates of ECI 517-Multimedia. Please feel free to leave a post, especially if you have any wonderful pieces of knowledge that you would like to share!





Happy Blogging!



Friday, March 26, 2010

STAR Legacy

I liked reading about the STAR legacy and seeing how it works with a lesson. It really helped me to see how they used the lesson about Chris' problems with bringing a plant into the US and trying to figure out why it was confiscated by finding out what type of plant it could be.

I have always tried to develop my training around the basics and building upon them. This is what I like about the STAR Legacy. It stated in the reading that it was like climbing a mountain. Start at the bottom and work your way up. The other thing I like was that students assess what they know so far and they build upon it. This way they are not being bombarded by information they already know, which can turn a student off of learning more about the topic.

I also like the fact that you are being a problem solver. I have always liked to figure out problems so I think that is why I like the problem based modules. To me it raises the curiosity of the student and helps them to want to learn versus someone telling them to learn it. It is a buy in by the student(s).

This module also helps to teach the student to self assess their own knowledge by finding out what works, what doesn't, and what they can improve upon.

Not only is the student viewing their own information but others as well. This helps students to figure out distinctions and patterns in what everyone already knows and where they need to go from there. It also helps individual students to notice things/ideas from other students that they normally wouldn't think about. It builds upon knowledge.

Also, testing is not so much for a grade versus understanding what the student understands and knowing where they need to improve. It gives feedback to the student on areas they need to keep working on. Instead of a teacher telling them what they need to improve upon it motivates the student by letting them figure out what they need to do.

The Going Public portion is also used to help a student reflect and reinforce upon the knowledge they learned.

Since I am a very visual learned, I was able to better comprehend the STAR Legacy by viewing some of the resources that Kevin provided in our lesson.  It helped to see the different media that was used to reinforce this particular module.

Well what else can I say...I liked this module!

8 comments:

  1. From Jennifer Knott: I like what you said in regard to the students figuring out what they need to do instead of the teacher telling them. What a way to empower students. I'm glad you use this method in your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carma,
    I also like the problem based modules. I agree that students become more intellectually curious with these types of modules and actually want to figure out things for themselves instead of "okay teacher, whatever you tell me to do". The self-assessment part is great too. Criticism is usually hard to take, especially by others. I can see this module being effective in that when students actually see for themselves what they are doing right (and wrong), they are more apt understand the concepts and act on them.
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting how many different types of people this model appeals to. I agree it is a fun design. I also really apprectiated your comment on the difficulty of designing the model for the web. I think it can seem easier than it actually when be! rachel palmer

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem solving aspect was key for me as well. Constructivist approach I am always in favor of. Empowering the students to solve what ends up being their problem as opposed to the teacher/instructor giving them the idea "and" solving for them.

    On assessment, I agree with your understanding of their assessment approach in that it is based not only on grade but on improvement of the approach and methods employed such that improvement can be added and assessment becomes a teaching tool. As discussed before, the students then tailor their approach to understanding the material rather that merely passing the test and thus the content becomes most important intrinsically...Mike Swinson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the enthusiasm in your blog. I felt that was about it too. I just all around liked every aspect of this model. I did like the visual part of it. To see the steps visually with a diagram helps a lot of learners. We spend a lot of time learning about thinking maps and graphic organizers at school. Children really seem to respond well to these items.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you pointed out the information about self-assessment. Too many times my students receive graded work and their only thought is the number/letter they see on paper. They hardly take notice of what it really means, a reflection of their subject mastery. I am also a big fan of this model and how it encourages reflection. Great post!

    Anni Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Self-assessment - another element that I forgot to write about in my reflection! I fought with this when I was in the classroom... because it was great that my kids learned how to use the feedback that I gave them. But what really would be helpful - because I've realized as I've gotten older that I struggle with this - would be to help THEM learn how to assess themselves. We're the ones, day in and day out, who have to decided and evaluate our actions, our words, and our relationships... not to mention our knowledge and learning. Soapbox there for a minute!

    ReplyDelete