From what I can understand so far concerning this model, I like it. I would have to say that I am not one for the traditional way of education where teachers have to feed a bunch of information to students so that they can memorize it long enough to transfer it to a yearly test so that people think they learned something. I wonder how much information they really acquire doing this.
The goal based scenarios seem to move towards having the students to learn how to instead of knowing. Knowing about different information is great, however, if you do not know how to apply that knowledge then what good does it do?
I also like the fact that you can take the information that you learned from one event and apply it to another one. This is what real life is about, and when you can teach this to children at an early age then that can only benefit them.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rebecca Kirstein: Carma I agree, we do not have enough application to student learning. I used to teach math for high school students, algebra two. I was disappointed as I watched day after day, our computers being idle and a very limited use of application of the mathematics we were teaching. Math has so many opportunities to use scenarios and have students choose how to apply the math they are learning.
ReplyDelete